How Might We...? | Create Phase
When to use it:
When you want to spark idea creation yet remaining solution-oriented around a specific problem.
How to set up How Might We:
To set up the method, add up to 5 How Might We statements along with a label for the question. Think of the label as a title or summary of the question.
Example: “How Might We…
... increase revenue across the business?". Label: “Increase revenue”
... help employees stay productive and healthy when working from home?". Label: "WFH solutions"
... improve the usability of product XY?". Label "Product XY enhancement"
- Start with the problem or the learnings you've discovered
- Keep the How Might We statement broad so that it inspires creativity
- Do not include a solution in the question
- Phrase it in a positive way (i.e. use 'HMW make X process more efficient?' instead of saying 'HMW make X process less complicated?'
- Pre-add any ideas if you want to give an example to your participants during the live session, to guide them through the input stage
How it works during a session:
- Participants will see all the How Might We statements on their screen, with the freedom to select and create ideas for any of the statements.
- If you have more than one statement: when you are reviewing the ideas, use the filtering options on the left-hand bar. It's a great way to focus the discussion around one problem at a time.
Recommended time: 15-50 mins - it depends on the number of statement and the complexity of the problems to discuss
Recommended number of participants: 3-20+